Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fall

Fall is finally here and it's amazing! (although that's not what this post is actually about) This summer seemed to be a bit longer than normal, but that was probably because it was the first one that I had to work straight through. The one down side to not being a student anymore is the lack of a summer break, although the pay checks are kinda nice.

Dallin is officially a working man now! He survived the Virginia state bar exam and has joined a patent litigation group in DC. His office is only about .5 mile from mine, which in theory means we can have lunch together sometimes, but we've yet to pull it off. He's also been riding his bike to work which is a lot cheaper than the metro, and more enjoyable for him. It also brings us to the actual subject of the post. A few weeks ago I was on my way home when I got a text from Dallin asking if I could come pick him up because he crashed on his bike! I was waiting for the bus, so I told him I'd get there as fast as I could, but it'd be a while.  It took me about an hour to get into DC where he was. Thankfully he crashed near the Barlow Center (a place owned by our church that has some dorms and classes and stuff) and he was able to hobble over there and some really nice people got him ice and Advil (They must be related to Jim, my old swim coach, anytime someone was hurt his answer was to "take Advil and ice it, 20 minutes on, 20 minutes off..."). Then when I finally got there with the car some more nice people helped us get his bike on the bike rack. We have no idea who any of the people were, but they were really great. 

So we started our drive back home, which took a while since it was rush hour.  On the way Dallin called his friend JC who lives down the street and who was nice enough to let Dallin borrow some crutches (and even brought them out to the car when we got home).  Then he called our home teacher Anthony, who came over pretty much right when we got home. By this time Dallin's ankle was about the size of a tennis ball (see picture). 


JC and Tony were able to give Dallin a blessing and we started looking up places to get it xrayed in the morning, everyone who saw it was sure it was broken, an ankle is just not supposed to look like that!  The next morning we went to an urgent care down the street and found out it miraculously wasn't broken! Just a really bad sprain.  So Dallin got to hobble around on crutches for a little over a week with a brace. A few days later his foot started turning a bunch of different colors (see other picture). It looked like a zombie foot. 


Now, about 3 weeks later, he's able to walk normally and run a little bit.  He rode his bike to work this morning, which I'm a bit nervous about (I told him if he crashes today I'm getting rid of the bike).  His ankle is still not a normal size though.

We've decided to name it Calvin.

Calvin the cankle. 



1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about Dallin's bike crash. I like the name you guys gave his ankle :) Congrats to Dallin on passing the bar exam!

    ReplyDelete