And I passed!! So I am now a master of science!! woo hoo! and I'm way less stressed than I was for.... um... about the last two years. So after we had that behind us we went out and partied, sorta. We finally saw the last Harry Potter movie and went shopping for some stuff we've wanted/needed for a little while.
So then the next Monday, the 22nd, Dallin started his last year of law school! (which we are way excited about) And I went to school and work. We thought we were settling in for another normal week, but oh were we wrong. Tuesday, I went to work in the morning and then ran back to campus for a few meetings that I had to wrap things up at school. I finished with one meeting just before 2 and had gone back to my lab in to wait for the next meeting when the building started shaking. Being from CA, I'm pretty used to earthquakes, and the shaking was pretty small (at first) so I looked around and thought to myself, "oh an earthquake, didn't know they had any of those around here". And continued to sign on to my e-mail.
Then, it really started shaking, I mean, walls moving, dust falling from the ceiling, shaking. I did a quick check of the room I was in.
- Pre-WWII building, sort of falling apart without any help.
- Large bookshelf to my left with lots of heavy books and equipment on it, not anchored to the wall.
- Large filing cabinet to my right, with lots of heavy equipment and tools in it, also not anchored to the wall.
- Large bookshelf by the door, same story.
- And finally, big glass fish tank, right behind me, and you guessed it, not anchored to anything.
One of the great things about having a lab in a really old, pretty small, sort of neglected building on campus is that there was no one there to tell us not to go back in. All the other buildings on campus were evacuated for 45 min - 1 hr, but no one even came to check on our building. The phone lines were all jammed so Dallin walked over to my lab because apparently his office building was evacuated and then closed for the rest of the day. And then we walked to our car which was parked at Dallin's school (about 4 miles or so) because the metro was packed and running slow, and the busses were packed and stuck in traffic that was much slower than walking. It's kind of a mad house in DC when the entire federal gov., and lots of other businesses all shut down at the same time.
It turns out the earthquake was only a 5.9, which isn't too terribly big, but they don't usually have earthquakes at all out here, so there was a decent amount of damage. Actually, the last earthquake this size was about 100 yrs ago. The Washington monument cracked, the national cathedral was damaged pretty badly, and the top of some of the spires fell off of the Washington DC temple. A bunch of stuff fell over in our house, but nothing broke.
Then as if that wasn't enough, we start getting hurricane warnings on Wednesday. Yup, a hurricane was headed straight for us, once again, doesn't normally happen. So as this weekend started, and the storm continued on it's path right for us, we decided to batten down the hatches. We cancelled Dallin's birthday party, since it was supposed to be outside. Stake conference was cancelled. We tried to move our cars away from trees (no easy feat here) and made sure our flashlights had batteries, etc. Then we waited. All of Saturday. And... nothing really happened. It rained a bunch, and was kind of windy, but by about 10:40 last night we decided to go to bed and just see the aftermath in the morning. The eye passed to the east of us at about 2 AM and while it wreaked havoc on communities closer to the beach, the most exciting thing out here was the one tree that fell down in our friend's yard. Thankfully it didn't hit the house, car, or power lines, but Dallin did get to go help cut it up and move it to the road to be picked up later. So all in all. We're doing good now and life is way less stressful, for me at least :)
But it still leaves us with one question. Why does everything that supposedly only happen once every hundred years or so happen while we are here? First there was the snowstorm that left everything shut down for a week, but it never snows like that here. Then there was the earthquake, which again, apparently never happens. Then the hurricane. My friend Nic blamed it on Obama, but I might just blame it on Marcie, she did just move in. In any case, as a public service announcement, we might be moving this summer and if we end up moving anywhere near you, you might want to stock up on emergency supplies, we seem to attract natural disasters. :)
If you want to move here, we're willing to take our chances with those natural disasters! Just pack some face masks for falling ash...
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you guys survived everything. Congratulations on defending your thesis and officially becoming a Master of Science :)
ReplyDeleteYeah! Welcome to the Master of Science club! Um, you guys really do have bad luck in DC. I lived there for a year and a half and never saw any action. And I like low-key! So don't move to Grand Junction, CO (I'm sure that was on the top of your list)...
ReplyDeleteGood luck to Dallin on finishing law school. You will be so happy to be done! :)
Loved this post, Autumn! Glad to hear you survived the disasters and congratulations on your master's degree! You can move to American Canyon--we'd love to have you--bad luck and all.
ReplyDeleteWOW!! That sounds like it has been quite a summer! I am glad that you guys are safe and that you passed your thesis! Congrats! I still want you and Dallin to move out here!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the love, we're glad to know most of you (cough...Jaime)still love us even if we are natural disaster magnets. Although it should be noted that Shawn invited us to American Canyon while she's in another country...
ReplyDelete